1. Cold Water Wash: To extend the life of your hosiery, wash them in cold water. Hot water can weaken the fibers and lead to snags or runs.
2. Use a Mesh Laundry Bag: Protect your hosiery from getting tangled or damaged by washing them in a mesh laundry bag. This also prevents them from rubbing against other clothes.
3. Hand Wash Delicate Styles: For delicate or expensive hosiery, consider hand washing with a gentle detergent to ensure they maintain their quality.
4. Freeze to Prevent Runs: Place your hosiery in a plastic bag and freeze them overnight. This can strengthen the fibers and reduce the chances of runs when you wear them.
5. Clear Nail Polish for Minor Runs: If you spot a small run, apply clear nail polish at both ends to prevent it from getting worse.
6. Wear Gloves: Before putting on hosiery, make sure your hands are smooth or wear gloves to reduce the risk of snags from rough skin or nails.
7. Avoid Jewelry: Remove jewelry or accessories that could catch on your hosiery when putting them on or taking them off.
8. Choose the Right Size: Wearing hosiery that is too small increases the risk of snags and runs. Always choose the correct size for a better fit and longevity.
9. Lotion for Smooth Application: Apply a small amount of lotion on your legs to reduce friction when putting on hosiery, making it easier to slide them on without causing damage.
10. Rotate Pairs: If you wear hosiery regularly, rotate between several pairs to give them time to rest and maintain their elasticity.
Remember, proper care and a few preventive measures can significantly extend the life of your hosiery.